Saturday, January 10, 2009

the freezing point of eggs

gen and i went snowshoeing yesterday, and stayed overnight at dog lake in big cottonwood canyon. it was a blast!! we packed a tent (snow was too soft for a snow cave) and food and lots of cold-weather gear. this morning, however, we had planned a very nice breakfast of oatmeal and scrambled eggs. we pulled the eggs out of the pack and lo-and-behold they were frozen!! so it made me wonder... how cold was it in the tent last night? well, i researched the freezing point of eggs (yolk and white are different values... fyi...) and it is -.57C which is 31F. at 9:45 last night, outside the tent, i knew it was 15-20F. i could tell because when i inhaled, my nose hairs stuck together, but i didn't start coughing... we think it got in the single digits where we slept... sweet!!
our timing last night was incredible, as it was apparantly the largest full moon of the year because it's closer to the earth, blah blah blah, and the stars were properly aligned for such adventurous chics.
we woke up this morning with frost around the hoods of our sleeping bags (i used my beanie as a nose gaurd so the tip of my nose didn't freeze, as it was the only appendage allowed out of my sleeping bag...
squatting in the snow with snowpants, gloves, and snowshoes on, was an all-new adventure to me... try balancing THAT, boys!

7 comments:

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

You are the Unsinkable Molly Brown. No adventure is too great for you. How on earth did you get the eggs there without cracking?

sarah said...

i could tell you, but then i would have to kill you...

Criscell said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say! You are amazing to do that! What a girl. I think I'll stay here in warm AZ...

Kellie said...

That sounds absolutely awful. How is that considered fun?

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

I agree with the previous comment. To each his own, I guess. Good luck w/ all your adventures!

Cecily said...

Wow!!! That's crazy Sarah. I've never even thought about the possibility of eggs freezing. I'm glad your nose didn't freeze off, haha.

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

Yeah, he has been crawling for a long while now. He has been wanting to walk since he was 4 months, go figure.