Monday, February 2, 2009

a scare...

my brother, clark, called me at 3:30 in the morning last week. whenever ANYONE calls you a 3:30 in the morning, what's your first reaction? well, knowing clark and his accident prone-ness my first reaction was "oh shit, what'd he break now, and am i going to have to call in sick to work and drive to vegas to make sure he's ok? (clark was in vegas at the time)"
so after having prepped myself for bad news, and a little terrified of what might have happened (remember- 3:30AM) i hear clark, rather perky on the other line: "what was the name of the hike you went on this weekend?"

me- *awkward pause* "what?"

clark (perky)- "the name of the hike! what was it called?"

me- "the wave."

clark (perky)- "because i'm trying to find pictures online and i can't find anything. did i wake you up? some buddies and i want to go hike it today. how long was it? where is it? can you tell me how to get there?"

me- "it's in southern utah. *pause, pause as i try to find the correct words, it's still 3:30, mind you* look up pariah canyon or buckskin gulch. the trailhead starts there. but the wave breaks off from it and the cairns don't help. get a book."

clark (still perky)- "can you email me directions? i'm playing blackjack right now!"

me- "not right now. i will when i wake up"

clark (really disappointed)- "oh. ok."
so after laying in bed for about 15 minutes, my mind still hadn't slowed down from the scare i had of my accident-prone brother who was apparantly jazzed up on many a redbull... i emailed him directions to the wave and called him back

me- "clark- i emailed you directions to the wave. good luck."

clark (perky)- "hey thanks!! blah blah blah- something about vegas and blackjack"

me- "clark- i work in 3 1/2 hours. DON'T call me again."

clark (annoyingly perky)- "ok! sorry!"

*click*

an hour later (no joke) i get a text message. "sorry for waking you up. i'm a little high on pain meds and redbull. i can't hike tomorrow anyway. love you!"

aren't brothers great???

7 comments:

Maria Hart said...

Hilarious story... I have images of George of the Jungle running through an apartment, "Java, java, java, java, java, java,...!" Clark on Red Bull and pain meds, and we thought he was the genius of the family!!! In his defense, I can all you at 9am and wake you up in the same way, with the same response! Also, my computer appears to have eaten my comment on your last post about the eggs, I think the Top Secret method you used to carry the eggs was to stow them in your bra! That would finally give your bra a job!!

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

Brothers are great - sometimes. Also, I loved the pictures of the hike! Question, though: Did you come to "southern Utah" on 1-15? Did you know we live in "southern Utah"? Just checking. Seriously, we'd even meet you in Beaver for lunch or something. It'd be great to see you sometime, and I know Brad and Nedra would like, too.

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

Clark told me about this and my first thought was why in the hell did you have 9 red bulls? What was he thinking. Why he thought he could hike with a torn ACL and a bruised bone is beyond me. I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of his insanity.

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

These pics were awesome it looked like a lot of fun.

Sam said...

Who is that good looking fella in the wave pictures? Is he a gentleman friend? I hope Clark's trip home was as eventful as yours...

Cecily said...

Ack! I would have killed him!! What a good sister you are!

clark said...

I deny this ever happened. I've got a great sister, but she tells a talllll tale.